The Calumet Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan
was approved and adopted by the Calumet City Council on Jan. 6, 2004.
The plan has been approved by the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (ODEM)
and the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).
You will need Adobe Reader to view these
Highlights of Calumet's Multi-Hazard Mitigation Plan
The following are the top ten high priority mitigation measures defined by the Calumet Hazard
Mitigation Planning Committee.
- General - Evaluate and upgrade warning systems.
- General - Consider County funds for fire department to update
equipment for providing fire protection to unincorporated areas of the county, developing a fire
emergency plan that assures access by fire vehicles to all areas included in the rural/urban
interface fire danger area and training on responding to wildfire emergencies.
- General - Provide emergency equipment for City Emergency Teams
including a safe-room in Town Hall and an emergency communications network for fire, police, 911, EMT
and other emergency operations.
- General - Develop and distribute public information and
education plans for responding to natural hazards and hazardous material events to at-risk populations
and contact agencies that distribute information to at-risk communities (e.g., elderly, infirm,
impoverished, outside workers) for selected natural and manmade hazards.
- Urban Fires - Replace inadequately sized water lines with
lines of sufficient size to provide adequate fire protection.
- Floods - Acquire accurate or verify accuracy of existing flood
plain maps and develop warning and evacuation plans for areas at risk from dam failure or large
- Winter Storms - Develop a contingency plan for responding to a
massive power outage due to severe winter storms, ice and snow, which provides routine trimming of
trees to reduce power outages and upgrading equipment and vehicles for combating ice storm damages
and adverse impacts to public infrastructure.
- Drought - Develop secondary water supply system.
- Tornadoes and High Winds - Install safe-rooms in schools.
- Hazardous Material Events - Develop a plan for responding to
hazardous materials incidents on major transportation routes through the community.